Are you planning an outdoor trip on a rocky mountain trail? Thinking about a quality mountain bike that fits your budget? The market is full of ever-increasing list of great mountain bikes. A well-designed bike will fulfill your desire of mountain biking.
A great mountain bike is always ready to face any kind of challenge while you are on the rocky trail. This article will reveal ten best mountain bikes under 1000 dollars available for 2018.
Quick Answer – Mountain Bikes Under 1000
1. Diamondback Overdrive Mountain Bike
2. Gravity FSX Dual Mountain Bike
3. Diamondback Bicycles Overdrive Hardtail
4. Diamondback Bicycles Recoi
5. Raleigh Bikes Tokul 1 Mountain Bike
6. Schwinn Protocol Mountain Bike
7. Montague Paratrooper Folding Mountain Bike
8. BEIOU Toray Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike
9. Diamondback Bicycles Line Hardtail
10. Diamondback Hook Complete
Review of the Best Mountain Bikes Under 1000 Dollars
Picking the best product from the web is always tricky. It is more difficult to find the best one while you are on a budget. To help you to find the best MTB that fits your budget and necessity, we prepared this list.
While you are in the market, you need to keep mind about some features that come with this price range. Considering all the features, we have also included a buying guide to help you to pick the best one.
1. Diamondback Overdrive 29 Hardtail Mountain Bike
If you are looking for a real mountain bike, this Diamondback’s MTB would be pretty good for mountain riding. This will make your next rocky trail riding enjoyable. It has come with 27.5 inches tires that allow you to go fast with less effort.
The gear shifters are super responsive and quick and brakes are fantastic as well. The handles have great grips. The weight of the bike is remarkable as well. This Overdrive 29 Hardtail also has some great features that you will be satisfied.
Its Shimano/SR Suntour 3×8 Drivetrain provides smooth, reliable shifting while SR Suntour Suspension Fork keeps you rolling confidently over tough obstacles. Its Shimano Acera Rear Derailleur also offers a wide range of gears to get you up and down the hills.
- strong, lightweight aluminum frame
- The 80mm travel fork works with the 29” wheels
- The Shimano Acera 8-speed rear derailleur
- SR Suntour XCT cranks are paired with a Shimano TX50 front derailleur
- Ready Ride bikes shipped 95% assembled
- Bike weighs about 35 pounds
- The seat of the bike is not the best one
- Real heavy components
2. Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike
Take this 2018 Gravity FSX 1.0 Dual Full Suspension Mountain Bike on the trail and you will love it. Its suspension is smooth and able to take up trail obstacles with ease. The 2018 model has some incredible features.
As, New Aluminum Frame, lighter, higher performance hydroformed tubing, Tektro Novela Disc Brakes, Shimano M19 rear derailleur and Suntour Triple Crank-set. This is a high-quality affordable entry-level dual suspension bike.
Gravity FSX 1.0 features front and Rear Disc Brakes, Shimano drive-train and an adjustable front shock. Its aluminum frame comes with Single Pivot technology and an adjustable rear coil over cartridge shock. This full suspension MTB will be a great buy. Your satisfaction is guaranteed.
- Strong and durable hydro-formed Aluminum tubing frame for lighter weight and higher performance.
- Strong and Light double wall rims
- Shimano M19 rear derailleur
- Suntour triple crank-set
- Tektro Novela Disc Brakes for great stopping power.
- Available in different colors: Black, Red, Gray, Yellow & White
- The tires are not of best quality.
- If you are a pro in bike assembling, it would be a great buy!
3. Diamondback Bicycles Overdrive Hardtail Mountain Bike
Looking for a solid starter mountain bike without emptying your pockets? The Overdrive won’t disappoint you. The Diamondback Overdrive hardtail is a high-quality mountain bike which has some incredible features.
This mountain bike is always ready to give you the real pleasure of mountain biking. This Hardtail Mountain Bike features an aluminum hardtail mountain bike with 27.5 inches rims, four-inch Suntour suspension fork, 24 speed and powerful disc brakes.
Its SR Suntour XCT 27 Coil spring suspension fork with 80mm travel provides you more control and less fatigue while you are on bumpy terrain.
The mechanical disc brakes give your reliable stopping power in any terrain. If you are looking for a solid MTB starter bike, Diamondback Override Hardtail won’t disappoint you.
- Overdrive 27.5 inches butted 6061-T6 aluminum frame
- SR Suntour XCT 27 coil spring fork with 80mm travel
- 24 speeds, Shimano 3×8 speed drive-train with Suntour XCT cranks.
- Tektro Aries mechanical disc brakes w/ 160mm rotors.
- Shimano drive-train for smooth shifting
- It weighs about 35 pounds
- The seat of the bike is not that much comfortable
4. Diamondback Bicycles Recoil 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bike
If you are here for a good full suspension mountain bike and planned for occasional riding, this Diamondback Bicycles Recoil 29er mountain bike is perfect for you. It has come up with heavy duty, tough, sturdy upgradeable 6061 aluminum frame.
The shocks will allow you to ride over rough trails with ease and the 29 inches wheels get you through the sandy places much better than others. Your trail riding enjoyment will improve to 100% with this bike that is guaranteed.
If you are looking for a great cross country bike, this is for you. Its suspension system absorbs bumps and gives more control and less fatigue. Shimano 3×8 speed drive-train keeps you steady up the hills. Its mechanical disc brakes provide great stopping power for confident in any terrain condition.
- 6061 aluminum alloy frame with modern geometry
- Shimano drive-train and 3×8 gears on the cassette
- 29er x 2.2 inches tires for smooth and easy ride
- 100 mm stem, 685mm wide handlebar
- The bike weights around 35 pounds
- Quick and easy assembly
- Front and rear suspension might need upgrading.
- The frame is high above the ground, as this is an ideal bike for people up to 6’ 1”
5. Raleigh Bikes Tokul 1 Mountain Bike
Raleigh has a long 130 years history of innovations and trendsetting. They always look forward to providing stylish, comfortable and high-quality mountain bikes. Tokul 1 has also come up with some extraordinary features.
Its SR Suntour XCM 120mm fork and Weinmann U28 27.5 inches rims with Kenda Honey Badger 27.5×2.2 inches take you to the toughest terrain with comfort. Tektro Auriga hydraulic disc brakes ensure reliable stopping power when flying into the turns.
Most other mountain bikes at its price range have cable disc brake while you are getting hydraulic brakes. Definitely, disc brakes are not as good as hydraulic brakes. Not only for the hydraulic brake but also considering the other features this is one of the best mountain bikes while you are on a budget.
- Lightweight, heavy-duty AL-6061 SL Custom Butted aluminum frame
- SR Suntour XCM 120mm fork
- Tektro Auriga hydraulic disc brakes
- Weinmann U28 27.5 inches rims with Kenda Honey Badger 27.5×2.2 inches tires
- This bike is about 32 pounds
- The warning label of the fork says that it is not made for riding over bumpy trails.
6. Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
It is Schwinn that means this mountain bike is made with great engineering skills. If mountain biking is one of your hobbies, you can own this.
Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike will give you the confidence to do something new out there. It has come up with such great features that you will love it.
For lightweight and durability, it has an aluminum dual suspension frame. The frame will also soak up the bumps and ruts that you face on the trail. There is a Shimano Altus rear derailleur and are 24 speeds with Shimano EZ-Fire shifters.
The speeds allow you to climb the vertical hills and the toughest narrow valleys with ease and comfort. The Promax front disc brake gives you great stopping power in dusty and dirty trail conditions.
The three-piece crank-set and double-walled alloy rims are light yet strong enough to hold you on the tough terrain conditions.
- Schwinn aluminum full suspension frame
- 24-speed Shimano EZ-Fire trigger shifters
- Front disc brake and rear alloy V-brake
- Light and strong alloy rims
- Schwinn alloy crank
- Lifetime warranty on the frame, as long as you own the bike.
- Product Dimensions is 60 x 8 x 29 inches and weighs only 43 pounds
- The bike is really heavy.
- After several months of riding, the chain slips when loads of pressure is put on it.
7. Montague Paratrooper 24 Speed Folding Mountain Bike
This is the only one folding bike in our list. This paratrooper is tough enough, rugged and always ready for any kind of terrain condition that you may face.
No tools are required to fold and stash in your car. The Paratrooper tactical bikes use all standard MTB wheels and components which are serviceable at any bike shop.
The Paratrooer features front suspension, , double cage aluminum pedals and 24 – speed EZ Fire Plus shifters to undertake the roughest terrain. Its front disk brakes give rapid and strong enough stopping power.
Montague Folding Integrated Technology (F .I .T .) is one of the special features of this bike. Its patented seat tube folding system preserves the strength of the traditional bicycle geometry.
- Made of heavy duty Aluminum frame
- Montague Folding Integrated Technology (F.I .T.)
- Folds to 36″ x 30″ x 12″ within thirty seconds without tools
- Front suspension and 24 – speed EZ Fire Plus shifters
- Warranty of 1 year on parts
- Item weighs around 45 pounds
- The handlebar is low, causing an uncomfortable position while on the bike.
- The weight is too focused on the front thus the velocity is reduced.
8. BEIOU Toray T700 Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike
Looking for some real adventure in life? Grab this mountain bike for your next biking tour. You will be thrilled and your desire will be fulfilled.
As all of the MTBs on this list are made of aluminum, this mountain bike has carbon fiber frame. Toray T700 Carbon fiber is lightweight, strong and also capable of absorbing shock.
BEIOU Mountain Bike is a complete bicycle with some great features. Its dual disc brakes system provides consistent braking in all conditions.
The Shimano Altus 370 (9S) speed control system allows the rider to accelerate or decelerate speeds as needed. This bike would be a great buy for its quality components.
- Made of Toray T700 Carbon fiber
- 3K glossy white orange finish
- Shimano Altus 370 (9S) speed control system
- Available in different colors
- Light-weight, item weighs about 26.2 pounds
- 5-year limited warranty (Non-artificial damage)
- Fork and brakes are not of the best quality
9. Diamondback Bicycles Line Hardtail Mountain Bike
In recent past, hardtails are the most common mountain bikes. This Diamondback Bicycles Line Hardtail Mountain bikes are far from the retro project. If you’re looking for an MB that can be really capable of mountain biking, this is for you.
It has some other extraordinary features. Its SRAM 1×9 drive-train, wide bars, short stem, hydraulic disc brakes and 27.5-inch rims provide you all the necessary features of a great mountain bike.
Its modern, sturdy 6061-T6 aluminum frame lowers your center of gravity and keeps you stable at any speed. Its SR Suntour XCR 120mm travel suspension forks smooth out the roots and rocks.
It also features Tektro Auriga hydraulic disc brake with 180 front and 160mm rear rotors which provides great control while you are on a tough trail. And Schwalbe Tough Tom 27×2.35 inches tire to keep you planted even on rough terrain.
- 6061-T6 aluminum alloy frame
- Tektro Auriga hydraulic disc brake with 180 front and 160mm rear rotors
- SR Suntour XCR 120mm travel suspension fork
- Schwalbe Tough Tom 27×2.35 inches tires
- SRAM 1×9 speed drive-train components
- Available in four sizes: S, M, L, XL
- Weighs around 30 pounds
- Lack of tapered head tube
10. Diamondback Hook Complete Mountain Bike
If you are on a budget and want a mountain bike to hit the trails, the Hook is for you. This bike is quick, fun and upgradable. This new 2018 model Diamondback has come up with stylish design and lightweight alloy frame for ultimate durability.
It also features a 1×8 drive-train and extra 40 mm of travel in the fork which gives you smooth ride. Its SR Suntour XCM 120mm travel suspension fork helps you to control your bike while on a rough trail.
These bikes are shipped 95 percent assembled. It only takes 30-60 minutes to assemble if you are a pro. This is really a complete beginner level mountain bike and very comfortable to ride.
- Aluminum frame for durability and lifelong performance
- SRAM X4 shifters and SRAM X3 with 8-speed cog-set rear derailleur
- SR Suntour XCM 120mm travel suspension fork
- Tektro Aries mechanical disc for great stopping power
- 27.5 x 2.35 inches tires provide smooth drive
- Lightweight, it weighs about 31.0 lbs.
- As it has straight head and not tapered, so upgrading forks have limitation.
Buying Guide of Mountain Bikes under $1000
Buying anything from the web is a tricky task. When it’s about buying an MTB under 1000 dollar it’s much more! You need to keep in mind about some factors that are important. The following aspects are important to know while you are in the market.
Usually, a bicycle has a frame made out of steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, or another exotic material. Among these materials, Carbon and Aluminum are more common.
As we are talking about MTB under 1000 dollars, most of the mountain bike should have a frame made out of Aluminum. Because carbon frames are more expensive. But, a well-built Aluminum frame is much better than others.
The brakes and the drive-train which is the bike’s engine room. The drive-train consists of the cassette, derailleur, the cranks, chain-rings, chain, and shifters. Shimano, Hope and SRAM are favorite brakes of the mountain bikers.
Once rim brakes were popular but nowadays disc brakes have replaced rim brakes. Lightweight hydraulic disc brakes are standard gear on a modern MTBs though they are expensive. Most of the MTBs under 1000 dollars are equipped with standard mechanical disc brakes.
Full suspension: There are some varieties of full-suspension bikes. A full suspension mountain bike can absorb a lot of trail bumps. This type of bikes have the front fork and rear shock to absorb the impacts of the trail and reduces the impact on the rider.
Most full-suspension has the ability to lock out the rear suspension and offer better power transfer and resourceful climbing.
Hardtail: These bikes have fewer moving parts and are less expensive than full suspension bikes. There is a suspension fork in the front to soak up the impact on the front wheel, but there is no suspension on the rear.
Most hardtails mountain bikes also have the ability to lock out the front fork. Cross-country bikers typically settle for hardtails as these bikes provide more direct transfer of power. Lower cost and easier maintenance are the key features of a hardtail mountain bike.
Rigid: These mountain bikes do not feature any suspension system. They are easy to maintain and are less expensive. Most riders prefer bikes with the suspension system for greater comfort. Most fat bikes are rigid.
Mountain bikes are available from single speed to 30 or more gears. If you are riding lots of vertical hills and more challenging trails, then you need to opt for more gears.
Traditionally mountain bikes come with two or three chain-rings to provide a variety of easy gears. If you are a tough biker or you only ride flat land, you won’t need as many low gears.
26 inches: In recent past, all mountain bikes were equipped with this size tires. Nowadays, it is also available.
27.5 inches: It is a balance between 26 inches and 29ers.
29ers: This is also known as 29 inches. This type wheels are slower to accelerate but can roll over terrain more easily than 26 inches. This size is popular among the cross country riders.
Size and Fit
Mountain can be sized under XS, S, M, L, XL. So, how to pick the right size? Always take a look at manufacturers’ size charts. It looks something like this:
XS : Bike size 13-14 inches: For riders between 5ft and 5ft 4in
S : Bike size 14-16 inches: For riders between 5ft 4in and 5ft 7in
M : Bike size 16-18 inches: For riders between 5ft 7in and 5ft 10in
L : Bike size 18-20 inches: For riders between 5ft 10in and 6ft 1in
XL : Bike size 20-22 inches: For riders over 6ft 1in
Many manufacturers are offering great mountain bikes for 1000 dollars or less. When you are on a budget, you have to compromise with features. Considering all the necessary features of a mountain bike, we prepared the above-mentioned list of best mountain bikes.
We hope that you will find this list and buying guide helpful. All of these bikes are ready to fulfill your desire of mountain biking. Grab one and ride on!
You May Also Like to Read