Making excursions and discovering nature is one of the best experiences you can have. We know them and that is why we want to encourage you to join the adventure with the best hiking backpack that will be completely useful and will help you to enjoy much more.
Walking, climbing mountains, crossing rivers, waterfalls, bridges, roads full of stones, passing rocks, then get to a beautiful place and camping or fishing with your friends, requires you to carry a good baggage, you can move it yourself , and with the amount of liters that allow you to get everything you need during the days of your stay.
Choose a hiking backpack can be confusing if you are not an expert on the subject, or you have no idea what are the most recommended features.
To make the purchase of a good quality product, and in addition to affordable price, follow our recommendations and know more.
The 10 Best Hiking Backpacks
The choice you make of the hiking backpack will determine how much you can enjoy Hiking. There are many new brands and models, also expensive and others less expensive. But, for you to have a good price-quality ratio, we show you the following comparative list with the best options.
1. TETON Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack
- Huge storage space: It has a 55 liter (3400 cubic inches) storage space which is enough to store plenty of hiking gear.
- Comfortable: It is equipped with thick padded, meshed shoulder straps that allow for air circulation around the back. These shoulder straps have torso adjustment straps to make it fit more comfortably around the back.
- Durable: It is made using ripstop and oxford canvas material to withstand rough handling when hiking.
- It has multiple pockets and compartments strategically placed for efficient and maximum loading.
- Its zippers are very hardy to give the backpack a longer lifespan.
- It has an open cell mesh lumbar pad designed to maximize airflow and provide maximum comfort.
- It has bendable aluminum stays.
- There is an additional rainfly included protecting the backpack when it rains.
2. OutdoorMaster Hiking Backpack
- Huge storage space: It has a 50 liter (3050 cubic inches) storage space.
- Durable and lightweight: It is made of durable, lightweight nylon material making it easier to carry while also giving it a long lifespan.
- It has multiple pockets and compartments including a padded laptop compartment to maximize loading.
- It has sturdy zippers to accommodate rough handling when hiking.
- Its shoulder straps are fully adjustable and padded with breathable meshes to maximize airflow.
- It has a fully adjustable waist strap.
- It has a sturdy hauling handle mounted on its top for one hand lifting.
- It comes with a waterproof rain cover to protect items in the backpack in case it rains.
3. Outlander Packable Lightweight Travel Hiking Backpack
- Waterproof: It is made from a nylon material which is water resistant.
- Durable: Its nylon fabric is reinforced with bar tacking along the tension joints.
- Relatively big storage space: It comes in two sizes; a 33 liter and a 20-liter option. Both are large enough to store hiking gear.
- Lightweight: Its nylon fabric makes it weigh 0.46 pounds and 0.5 pounds for the 20-liter and 33-liter backpack respectively.
- Compact: It can be folded easily to occupy a very small space when not in use.
- It has hardy corrosion resistant metallic zippers.
- It comes with a multi-functional carabiner clip for attaching things to the backpack or for attaching the backpack to other things.
4. Mountaintop Hiking Backpack
- Multiple compartments: This backpack features multiple pockets and compartments including a padded laptop compartment that can hold a maximum 17-inch laptop.
- Comfortable: This backpack has padded meshed back panels than allow for airflow on the back when carrying it. It also has adjustable sternum straps for ensuring a perfect fit.
- Durable: Its tension joints are reinforced using bar tack stitching.
- It has D shaped hooks on its shoulder straps for attaching additional items.
- Waterproof: It is made from a water-resistant nylon fabric which is useful in protecting what is inside during rainy weather.
- It has additional straps, 6 in total, which are adjustable and useful in tying sleeping bags, tripods or other useful stuff for hiking.
- Big storage space: It has a 40-liter storage space which is enough to store enough hiking gear.
5. WATERFLY Chest Sling Shoulder Backpack
- Small storage space: It has a 10-liter storage space which is ideal for storing less bulky hiking gear.
- Multiple compartments: It has multiple pouches for holding keys, bank cards, phones and tablets.
- Compact: Its small storage space means it is very compact making it fit almost seamlessly on the back.
- Comfortable: It had a large, meshed shoulder strap and combined with a meshed padded back, make the backpack comfortable to carry.
- Water resistant: It is made from water-resistant nylon material making it ideal for all weather hiking.
- Durable: Its nylon material is wear resistant and it has a sturdy YNS buckle which gives it a long lifespan.
- Lightweight: Its small size combined with its nylon material makes it very lightweight (0.45 pounds) and hence very simple to hike with.
6. Bago Lightweight Backpack
- Waterproof: This backpack is made from a water-resistant nylon material making it ideal for all weather hiking.
- Multiple compartments: This backpack has plenty of pockets including water bottle side pockets and an external medium compartment for maximum loading.
- It has a large main compartment with inner zip pockets for additional storage.
- Convertible: It can be folded into its inner zip pocket converting it from a backpack to a small pouch which is convenient to carry few items.
- Lightweight: Its nylon material is very lightweight.
- Durable: It is made from a diamond ripstop material which is very tough and resistant to wear and tear. It also has a strong hauling handle which is extremely useful when it is converted to a pouch.
- Comfortable: It has adjustable, meshed shoulder straps which give it a more comfortable feel when carrying it.
7. Miracol Hydration Backpack
- Thermal insulation: This backpack has inside insulation that can keep water cold for up to four hours.
- Replaceable bladder: It comes with an in-built water bladder designed to carry water conveniently. This bladder is easily removable in case it spoils or is not required.
- Durable: This bag boasts of military grade build materials and hence very durable.
- Lightweight: It is very lightweight, weighing in at 1 pound.
- Multiple compartments: It has many pockets placed strategically around the bag to conveniently store your items.
- Comfortable: The backpack has meshed pads on its back that make it easier for air to flow around the back when carrying it. It also has waist straps for a better fit.
- It has a headphone cable slot which allows your phone to be inside the bag while you access your headphones comfortably from the outside.
8. ORICSSON Unisex Durable Lightweight Foldable Backpack
- Big storage space: This bag has a storage capacity of 35 liters.
- Safe: It has reflective safety strips to make it more visible at night.
- Durable and Waterproof: It is made from a water-resistant, wear resistant nylon material with a double layered bottom part for extra durability.
- Comfortable: It has broad meshed shoulder straps and a chest strap for even distribution on weight.
- Foldable: It is easily foldable when not in use for easier storage.
- Lightweight: Its nylon build makes it very lightweight and easy to carry.
- Multiple compartments: This bag has many compartments including 3 split compartments in the main compartment for better organization.
9. Mengar Water Resistant Packable Backpack
- Large storage space: It has a storage capacity of 35 liters which is big enough to carry almost everything required when hiking.
- Water resistant: It is made from water-resistant nylon material and hence ideal for all weather hiking.
- Durable and lightweight: Its nylon material is specifically a honeycomb ripstop nylon material which is very durable and lightweight and ideal for hiking. Its tension points are also reinforced using bar tacking to give it a longer lifespan.
- Comfortable: It has thick padded, meshed shoulder straps which make it more comfortable when carrying it.
- Foldable: It can be folded to occupy a smaller space which is perfect for storage.
- Lightweight: Its nylon fabric makes it very lightweight, weighing in at only o.45 pounds.
- It has a firm loop and hauling handle for carrying with one hand.
10. OneTigris Dog Pack Hound Hiking Backpack
- Water resistant: This backpack is made from a water-resistant nylon material making it ideal for all weather hiking.
- Comfortable: It has padding on its underside making it comfortable for the dog to carry. Additionally, it has an adjustable belly and chest straps to make sure it fits perfectly.
- It has quick release buckles for easy unloading from the dog.
- It has a clear window pocket at the top for inserting the dog’s ID card.
- It has V-shaped metal attachments for attaching the dog’s leash.
- It has two main compartments placed either side of the dog to enable load balancing and give the dog a more comfortable time hiking.
Types of Hiking Backpacks
Also related to the mountain backpack, there are many types of backpacks in the market, you will find a lot of models, but the first thing you should know is that in the case of hiking there are only three types so far.
Day backpacks: ideal for a single day of walking, cycling, picnics, day trips or climbs. They are extremely light and are excellent for loading up to 8 kg. Make sure that the bag has a belt that fits the bag well to your body, so you avoid moving while you walk.
With internal frame: it is one of the most popular types purchased by hikers. The frames are usually made of aluminum, plastic, Delrin bars that are curved or a combination of two or more of the materials mentioned above.
An appropriately adjusted inner bar backpack will fit the body embracing the contours of the user’s back and will keep the load close to the spine which is the preferred position to move it.
With external frame: this type of hiking backpack is also designed for heavy loads or with a lot of equipment. This type of backpack is good for walking trails due to its design, since the bag hangs on the outside, so the load is kept away from the back.
The use of trekking poles and an external frame bag provides greater stability during the course. The center of gravity provides efficient transfer of weight to the hips, where the walker is stronger and allows him to have an upright posture.
The other benefit is a large capacity of air flow between the bag and the hiker. It is a great feature for hiking on hot days and so do not sweat your back. This type of backpack has many pockets, and are great for longer walks of a week or more.
Factors and Characteristics to Consider When Choosing a Hiking Backpack
There are certain characteristics that are essential to acquire a hiking backpack according to each person, because yes, it becomes a personal element.
The appropriate choice will allow the hiker to enjoy the trip during the day or during the night, and it will make it more comfortable to carry their luggage and other resources for their stay. Each set has an ideal design, as well as taking into account body weight, height, and other details.
In the first instance, you should know that the measurements of hiking backpacks are handled in liters, in relation to the volume of what can be effectively stored in them, regardless of weight.
There are a number of ideal liters for each stature. For example, a backpack no larger than 65 liters is suitable for a person of 1.60 m. According to your height should be the backpack for your use.
Comfort: there is a difference between comfort and adjustment. You can adjust a backpack, but that does not mean it will be comfortable to wear on top. The adjustment is one of the main characteristics that you must ensure that you have the backpack. When your bag is adjustable you can customize it according to your preferences, texture, among other measures.
The most recommended backpack is the one that has to adjust to the length of the torso, to the size, that is light, that has good internal support bars, and with a large number of external compartments that will be very practical and useful.
Style: the design of the backpack you choose should allow you to move the head, as well as the arms and not to trip or create discomfort. Also, keep in mind to choose a backpack with easy-access straps to handle, for quick adjustments.
The color or recordings that you want in your bag will not affect their functions, so choose the one that calls your attention the most.
Value: everyone wants to buy a product of good quality and at an affordable price. Look for durable, robust backpacks that have been tested for quality and have a guarantee. Most hikers do not mind spending a little more for a backpack that guarantees comfort and resistance for many years.
Convenience: the packaging of a backpack is very important. The more things you can safely carry in an efficient way, the better you can move during the journey. You will want pockets, fins and compartments to be easily accessible and that everything you have stored is protected.
Durability: if you do not want to buy more than one hiking bag twice a year, be sure to buy one that is durable, made with materials Make sure that zippers, clips, seams, and straps are durable and resistant (and also covered for the guarantee).
Make Sure the Setting Is Correct
Each type of hiking morale requires special adjustments to provide greater security and comfort.
In the case of day bags, these usually come in a single size. Take into account that the straps surround the shoulders without bothering them. The belt is often made of straps and should hold the bag against your back, so it does not bounce or move from one side to the other as you walk.
For backpacks with internal or external bars, you should pay attention to the suspension system, which includes the shoulder straps, the frame, the back pad, the lower back, and the belt.
There Are Three Different Types of Suspension System
Fixed suspension: mostly available in backpacks with a variety in the length of the torso, which can be adapted to walkers of different heights. The main benefit is the stability it provides between the bag and the walker.
Interchangeable suspension: it is the best of two worlds. Depending on the manufacturer, you may be able to customize the suspension by purchasing an adaptive belt and shoulder straps separately. This option is ideal for people who are out of average height and weight range.
Adjustable suspension: The shoulder part that fits through the rear panel of an adjustable suspension moves up and down to help the walker lengthen or shorten the space between the shoulders and hips. This allows the backpack to be used by a variety of hikers of all shapes and sizes.
In addition to these characteristics, consider that if you are a woman, you should look for a female hiking backpack, with lumbar support.
There are backpacks that are waterproof, but these are usually heavier and also expensive.
In the opinion of experts, it is important to verify that the backpack has its support bars so that it does not lose shape when putting the load, and if it does, preferably they are flexible metal, and not plastic because they tend to break.
A disadvantaged point of much of these backpacks, according to comments from trekking practitioners, is that there are models that have a compartment to insert hydration systems such as bladders called camelback (to carry 2 or a few more liters of water).
It is uncomfortable to have to remove the bag, open it, remove the belongings to remove the bladder and recharge it.